the north-west monsoon
- Taleo i karim planti ren i kam long ples bilong mipela.
The north-west monsoon brings much rain to our village.
green land snail shell
- Bubu meri i wokim bilas long talibung.
The grandmother made decoration from snail shells.
mushroom, edible fungus
- Talinga i stap long saksak.
There are mushrooms on the sago.
1. ancestral spirits, ghosts
- lukaut long tambaran beware of ghosts
2. ancestral spirit worship cult for men
- Ol man long ples i go long haus tambaran long wokim singsing tambaran.
The men of the village have gone to the spirit house to participate in a chanting ceremony.
3. wooden spirit masks kept in the spirit house
- Ol tambaran i mas stap insait long haus tambaran.
The spirit masks must remain in the spirit house.
4. haus tambaran traditional spirit house, men’s house in the Sepik region
spirit man, member of the spirit cult, man with powers to commune with evil spirits, a sorcerer
- Mi pret long ol tambaranman.
I am frightened of spirit men.
1. a taboo
- No ken brukim tambu.
Do not break the taboo.
2. to restrict, to not allow, to forbid
- Tambu tru long smok long opis.
There is a total ban on smoking in the office.
3. a restricted place, a sacred place, to be tabooed
- Dispela raunwara em ples tambu we yumi man nating i no inap go long en.
This lake is a sacred spot where ordinary men like us may not go.
- Em i tambu bilong mi.
He is my in-law.
5. (also tabu) shell money
- Ol Tolai i yusim tambu long maket bilong ol.
The Tolai people accept shell money in their markets.