public; pablic sekta public sector; ol tisa i wok long pablik sekta teachers work in the public sector.
pie; ol manmeri bilong Ostrelia ol i save kaikai planti pai Australians eat lots of pies.
- fire; mama i kukim kaukau long paia mother is roasting sweet potatoes in the fire;
- to burn; haus i paia the house is burning;
- anger; bel bilong em i paia tru he is very angry;
- lightening; klaut i paia na kukim diwai lightning struck and burned the tree.
- fireman; ol paiaman kilim paia the fireman put the fire out;
- the person who looks after the fire in a copra drier; paiaman i slip na paia long haus kopra i dai the fireman fell asleep and the fire in the copra drier went out; haus paiaman (also haus kopra) copra drying house.
firewood; mama i askim boi long kisim paiawut the mother asked the boy to fetch some firewood.
See also: Firewood in Papua New Guinea
pilot; pailot i save draivim balus the pilot knows how to fly the plane.
- to look for something; Tomas i painim wanpela balus long bus Thomas is looking for an aeroplane in the jungle; mi painim yet I’m still looking (for it); mi givap long painim I’ve given up looking for it; painim wok to look for work, to be unemployed;
- to find; painim pinis found; mi painim pinis I have found it; Maria i wok long painim galip long maket, tasol i no painim pinis Maria is looking for galip nuts in the market, but she hasn’t found any yet.
discovery; wok painimaut investigation, research; mi painimaut I’ve worked out the answer; mi laik painimaut I’m trying to work it out.
to find out; ol bikman i painimautim man husat i kilim pik bilong Susan the chiefs found out who killed Susan’s pig.