clan chief from New Ireland.
1. sign, characteristic, scar, design, spot, tattoo, label, symbol
- putim mak to put one’s mark, to sign
- katim mak to cause scars for body decoration
- mak bilong lek animal tracks
- mekim mak to apply tattoos
- em i mak bilong gutpela man.
that is characteristic of a good person.
2. goal posts for soccer
- sanapim mak, planim mak to set up goal posts
3. an assessment grade in school
4. place, position
- PNG i stap long mak we em stap nau.
PNG is in this position now.
- masta mak surveyor
- gavman i mas painim moa maket.
the government has to find more markets.
- Man i go long maket bilong baim kaikai.
A man is going to the market to buy food.
- yumi save baim kaikai long maket.
we buy our food at the market.
1. to mark something, to sketch
- makim diwai long katim to mark a tree for cutting
2. to appoint, to allocate, to vote for, to select, to promise in marriage
- makim de to set a day
- makim nupela memba vote for a new member
3. to point at, to aim
- makim long pinga to point a finger
4. to imitate, to mock
- makim gutpela pasin lo imitate good habits
of various colours, spotted, tattoo
- skin bilong dok i gat makmak.
the dogs fur is many coloured.
New Ireland memorial celebration and carving
- haus malagan house to store and display malagan carvings