clan chief from New Ireland.
- sign, characteristic, scar, design, spot, tattoo, label, symbol; putim mak to put one’s mark, to sign; katim mak to cause scars for body decoration; mak bilong lek animal tracks; mekim mak to apply tattoos; em i mak bilong gutpela man that is characteristic of a good person;
- goal posts for soccer; sanapim mak, planim mak to set up goal posts;
- an assessment grade in school;
- place, position; PNG i stap long mak we em stap nau PNG is in this position now; masta mak surveyor.
market; gavman i mas painim moa maket the government has to find more markets; yumi save baim kaikai long maket we buy our food at the market.
- to mark something, to sketch; makim diwai long katim to mark a tree for cutting;
- to appoint, to allocate, to vote for, to select, to promise in marriage; makim de to set a day; makim nupela memba vote for a new member;
- to point at, to aim; makim long pinga to point a finger;
- to imitate, to mock; makim gutpela pasin lo imitate good habits.
of various colours, spotted, tattoo; skin bilong dok i gat makmak the dogs fur is many coloured.
New Ireland memorial celebration and carving; haus malagan house to store and display malagan carvings.