library (also haus buk).
- a desire, a wish, love, will; em i laik bilong em it’s what she wants; long laik bilong em of her own free will; laik bilong yu as you wish; mi gat laik long Alan I’m falling in love with Alan;
- to like to, to want to, to wish to; kisim long laik bilong yu to choose; mi laik go long taun I want to go to the town; mi no laik I don’t want to; no laik tru abhor; daunim laik resist temptation;
- to be ready to; to be about to; mi pilim olsem mi laik sik I feel as if I were getting sick; ren i laik kam nau it is about to rain.
to like something, to love, to desire, to want something, appetite; mi laikim wanpela samting I want something; em wanpela samting planti man i laikim popular thing; yu laikim wanem? what do you want?
- a line, a row, a queue; ol skulmanki i save sanap long lain the school children stand in a line;
- a coconut plantation;
- a clan, an ancestral line; ol lain bilong Kikori the people of Kikori; haus lain clan, extended family;
- age-group, grade, group, religious order; lain i save experts; lain pis a catch of fish;
- to be line; to queue; ol manmeri i lain pinis long beng the people stand in line at the bank;
- to learn, to study about; meri i lain long samapim klos the woman is learning to sew clothes;
- a village meeting, to have a village meeting; long ples ol save lain o kibung olgeta Mande long skelim tok long ol kain kain trabel bilong ples back home people have a village meeting on Mondays to consult about all sorts of village problems;
- a rope, a cord; pislain fishing line.
group rape or serial intercourse involving groups of men lining up to sexually penetrate a woman.
- to line up, to put something in line; lainim ol buk line up the books;
- to put in order, to arrange, to get ready; lainim ol samting bilong wok get the tools ready; lainim plet to set the table;
- to learn something, to study something; lainim pasin bilong skul become accustomed to school ways; yu lainim wanem samting long skul? what are you learning in school?;
- to teach someone something; lainim ol meri long rit teach the women to read.
life; em i gat laip it is alive; givim laip to animate, make lively; laip lain life line organisation.