car (also kar); draivim ka to drive a car; ka i krungutim em to run over with a car; planim ka to get a car stuck.
cabinet, a locker, a cupboard (also sarang); husat i holim ki long kabot? who has the key to the cupboard?
See also: Cabbage in Papua New Guinea
- cargo, supplies, luggage; balus i bringim kago the cargo came by plane;
- cargo cult; kago bilong ol tumbuna gifts from the ancestors. See also: Vailala Movement
- food, meat; givim kaikai long to feed; gutpela kaikai i stap long ples there is good food in the village; kaikai bihain, switkaikai dessert; kaikai long belo, kaikai long apinun dinner; karim kaikai to bear fruit; man bilong kaikai a bis eater; taim bilong kaikai mealtime; haus kaikai mess, dining room;
- to eat, to chew, to feed on; gutpela long kaikai edible; kaikai olsem rat gnaw; mi kaikai pinis I have eaten; ol Hailans manmeri i laik kaikai buai Highlands people like to chew betelnut; ol pik i laik kaikai kaukau pigs like to eat kaukau; save kaikai man cannibal; tambuim kaikai to fast;
- kaikai maus to kiss;
- kaikai lek oh damn!
- to bite something, to eat; pukpuk i kaikaim man the crocodile ate the man;
- to destroy; paia i kaikaim haus fire destroyed the house;
- corrode; solwara i save kaikaim ain salt water corrodes iron.
kind, sort, type of; kind of (repeated for emphasis); dispela kain samting this sort of thing; ol kain all kinds; stua i gat ol kain samting the store has all kinds of things; ol kain liklik bisnis the kind of small business; mi laikim dispela kain laplap I like this piece of cloth; putim kain kain to sort out; no ken mekim kain tok olsem don’t say those kind of things; kain olsem like, same kind.
all sorts, different kinds; em kam lukim ol kain kain gutpela samting she came to see the many good kinds of things; i gat planti kain kain aidia there are lots of different ideas.
the left, the left side (also lephan); em i save rait long han kais he writes with his left hand.
cockroach (also kokoros).