to show surpise, or ask ‘isn’t that so?’
- Tru, a?
- Yu bai kam long Trinde, a?
You’ll come on Wednesday, eh?
1. to miss
- mi sut long pisin tasol mi abrus.
I shot at the bird but I missed.
- katres i abrus long manki.
the bullet missed the boy.
2. to avoid, to keep away from
- yumi mas abrusim sik.
we must avoid getting sick.
3. to pass
- mi abrusim em long rot.
I passed him on the road.
1. meat, protein
- kakaruk na pik, em ol gutpela abus long kaikai.
chicken and pig are good meat to eat.
- i gat planti kain kain abus long bikbus.
there are many kinds of animals in the deep jungle.
3. easy mark
- ol i abus bilong mipela.
they were an easy mark for us.
See also: Meat Consumption in Papua New Guinea
1. to mix (also miksim)
- abusim rais wantaim tinpis.
mix rice with tinned fish.
2. to include meat or fish
- mobeta yumi abusim long pis.
it would be better to add fish.
See also: Government of Papua New Guinea
to address a letter or parcel
- em i adresim pas bilong pren bilong em.
he addressed his friend’s letter.