1. a taboo
- No ken brukim tambu.
Do not break the taboo.
2. to restrict, to not allow, to forbid
- Tambu tru long smok long opis.
There is a total ban on smoking in the office.
3. a restricted place, a sacred place, to be tabooed
- Dispela raunwara em ples tambu we yumi man nating i no inap go long en.
This lake is a sacred spot where ordinary men like us may not go.
- Em i tambu bilong mi.
He is my in-law.
5. (also tabu) shell money
- Ol Tolai i yusim tambu long maket bilong ol.
The Tolai people accept shell money in their markets.