1. to straighten, to level, to smooth
- stretim bet (straight bed) to make the bed
- stretim plang (straight plank) to put boards in order
- stretim ples (straight place) to clean up a village
- stretim rot (straight road) to level a road
- Ol i yusim greda long stretim rot.
They used a grader to level the road.
- Banis i klostu pundaun na mipela stretim bek.
The fence had almost fallen down so we straightened it.
- Inap yu stretim lek bilong yu?
Can you straighten your legs?
2. to make right, to correct, to fix, to settle
- stretim ensin (straight engine) to repair an engine
- stretim dinau (straight debt) to settle accounts
- stretim pasin (straight fashion) to improve one’s behaviour
- Ol yangpela i mas stretim pasin bilong ol.
The youth must improve their behaviour.
- stretim pepa (straight paper) to correct a paper
- stretim rong (straight wrong) to make satisfaction
- Yumi mas stretim rong bilong yumi.
We must make amends for our wrong doing.
- stretim sik (straight sick) to heal
- Marasin i stretim sik bilong em.
The medicine cured his illness.
- stretim tok (straight talk) to settle a complaint
- Yumi mas stretim taim bilong statim bung.
We must settle on a starting time for the meeting.