1. to look out, to watch out for, to beware of, to look for
- lookout long pis (look out (prep) fish) to go fishing
- Lukaut long bas i kam.
Look for the bus coming.
- Lukaut, dok nogut i stap.
Beware of the savage dog.
2. to look after, to care for
- lukaut bilong lotu the care of the church
- lookout long sikman (look out (prep) sick man) to nurse a patient
- Lukaut long ol buk bilong mi.
Look after my books.
- Mama i lukaut gut long pikinini bilong em.
The mother takes good care of her children.