This Australian company has had a long and commercially profitable association with Papua New Guinean. During the British Protectorate (1884-88) the company appointed a trading agent stationed in Port Moresby and by 1906 Burns Philp Pty Ltd (BP) dominated trade and shipping. The British New Guinea Development Company which had been established in 1910 and controlled extensive coconut and rubber plantations became a subsidiary of BP. BP dominated the commercial sector after World War II. Until 1968 the Australian government subsidized BP ships on the Australian run. Mr B.C. Goodsell of BP was the initiator of the Employers’ Federation of Papua New Guinea and the Federation’s first president.