Derived from ‘arse,’ extending its meaning to ‘buttock’, ‘foundation’, ‘origin’, ‘cause’ etc.
1. bottom, base, basis, foundation
- as bilong diwai base of the tree, tree stump
- as bilong diwai i bikpela tru a big tree stump
- Skul i stap long as bilong maunten paia.
The school is at the base of the volcano.
- as bilong tok katolik the basis of Catholic teaching
2. buttock, anus
- paitim as to spank, to whip
- wokabaut long as to creep (as of a baby)
3. origin, cause, source, reason
- as bilong tok the origin of a story
- as tru bilong hevi the clear cause of a worry
- I no gat as bilong en.
There’s no reason for it.
- as bilong em i olsem the reason is as follows