1. meat, protein (see also: Meat Consumption in Papua New Guinea)
- Kakaruk na pik, em ol gutpela abus long kaikai.
Chicken and pig are good meat to eat.
- I gat planti kain kain abus long bikbus.
There are many kinds of animals in the deep jungle.
3. easy mark
- Ol i abus bilong mipela.
They were an easy mark for us.
4. (hunting) game
- Em i go painim abus long bus.
He went to hunt game in the forest.
5. Something that is experienced often and is much liked, that one ‘has for breakfast’
- Singsing em i abus bilong mi.
Dancing is my delight, it’s my thing.
6. (warfare, fighting) former cannibal victims (this cannot be said of enemies where cannibalism was not prevalent)
- ol hap lain – abus bilong mipela!
The other tribe, we could raid and eat them whenever we felt like it!
7. game, garnish, side-dish, anything used to add to or supplement the main dish (Generally this is some kind of meat or game but may be greens or anything else)